Portfolio Category: BCHS Museum Buildings

Paul Holland Knowlton House

At a special meeting of the Board of Directors of the Brome County Historical Society (BCHS) on September 26, 2014, the Board of Directors unanimously voted in favour of moving the Paul Holland Knowlton (PHK) house onto the grounds of the museum from its original location at the Knowlton Golf Club by mid-October 2014. Over…
Read more

Tibbit’s Hill Schoolhouse

Built in 1844 to replace a log structure which had been erected in 1827, the one-room fieldstone structure served English-speaking pupils until 1928. The schoolhouse was given to the Brome County Historical Society in 1937 by the Township of Brome School Commission and set up as part of the Brome County Museum in 1967. Visitors…
Read more

Old County Courthouse

Court is no longer in session in this building, constructed in 1858-59, but the old courtroom is still available for viewing on summer Sunday afternoons. The Society’s extensive Archives are also housed here. [gallery ids="2322,2298,2062,2223"]
Read more

Old Fire Hall and Tower

In the Old Fire Hall, visitors will find a general store, blacksmith’s shop, post office, and vintage radio display dedicated to R.A, Fessenden, the Knowlton-born inventor who made the world’s first radio broadcast. The Tower is the only one remaining in the area and features an interior crossbeam structure once used to dry out fire…
Read more